I am the Bread of Life
Jesus said, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to Me shall not hunger…” John 6:35
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
B – road context
R – ealize there is “better” bread
E – stablish confidence properly placed
A – pply the means given
D – on’t neglect the Lord’s table
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: What are your favorite foods around the holidays?
1) Compare and contrast God’s provision of manna in the Old Testament (John 6:31) with God’s provision of Jesus in the New Testament (John 6:32).
2) People in this passage are contradictory. On the one hand, they show interest in what only Jesus can give (John 6:34). On the other hand, they also fall somewhere short of genuine faith (John 6:35). What does the entire chapter (John 6) tell us about Jesus’ approach to this fickle behavior?
3) We live in a beautiful playground, provided ultimately by God for our enjoyment. However, a significant majority of our population neglect the teachings of Jesus. How does one go forward in “inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ” with confidence despite this resistance?
4) Effectual calling is an act of God the Father, speaking through the human proclamation of the gospel, in which He summons people to Himself in such a way that they respond in saving faith. How does Jesus teach such “effectual calling” in John 6:37? What difference does this make in your confidence?
5) Remaining a Christian: this means that all those who are truly born again will be kept by God’s power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives, and that only those who persevere until the end have been truly born again. How does Jesus affirm the first half of this definition in John 6:39 and the second half in John 6:40?
Taking it Home: Receive the Lord’s Table with a renewed focus on just what it represents. Establish membership with a local Christian church so not to neglect this important ordinance.
We would love to meet you at our Welcome Center in the lobby and share a gift and available opportunities. Our Pastoral team would also love to meet you and will linger in the front after the services to this end. You may let us know you were here by using a Communication Card found in our worship folder. We receive these in containers placed on tables in the Celebration Center.
This weekend is an opportunity to contribute to the benevolent fund, used for our church family and community members in times of need. If you wish to contribute, you may give your gift on the way out of the service.
A CHRISTMAS SERIES
Our Christmas teaching series called “I am Christmas” has begun and will run through Sunday, December 26. It will include teaching on each of the “I am” names Jesus Christ gives Himself. These will be excellent opportunities to bring a family member or a friend to understand the meaning and significance of Christmas, applied to daily life.
CHRISTMAS WORSHIP SCHEDULE
Aspen Ridge Church will hold Christmas Eve candlelight services on December 24 indoors and for the whole family beginning at 3:00 and 4:30 PM. These will focus on Jesus who says, “I am the Light of the World.” We will then have no service on Christmas Day, December 25. However, on Sunday, December 26 we will have one combined family service at 10:00 AM.
CELEBRATION OF LIFE FOR SID WHITFORD
A Celebration of Life service will be held for Sid Whitford on Saturday, December 11, 2021 beginning at 10:00 AM at Aspen Ridge Church. A reception in the Fellowship Hall downstairs will immediately follow the service and the family asks if you would bring a side dish or dessert to share. Sid went home to be with the Lord on November 16, 2021.
Aspen Ridge Church is hosting baptism services during the weekend of January 29/30. If you are interested in being baptized, please plan on attending an orientation meeting for baptism. We will offer such meetings on Wednesday, January 5 at 6:30 PM, Saturday, January 8 at 4:00 PM or Saturday, January 15 at 4:00 PM. These meetings will be held in Pastor Jeff’s office, Room #204. Please call the church office with your selection of a meeting time and bring your Bible!
LOST AND FOUND
We are clearing out the Lost and Found closet, located on the lower level, after December 20. Please check for items that belong to you.
“LOOK UP” SERIES BEGINNING JANUARY 8/9
Aspen Ridge Church will begin a new series on the book of Revelation entitled “Look Up.” It is widely agreed that we live in difficult times marked by uncertainty. In addition, we need perspective on our place in history. This series will describe the kingdom we are moving toward and will one day inherit and will explain just what the future will hold. We want to personally invite you and a friend to this new series.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
Please join us on Wednesday from 5:30-6:30 PM for a delicious meal of sloppy joes, chips and dessert served in our Celebration Center. The cost is $3/person or $10/family.
On Sunday, January 30 from 4:00-6:30 PM we will host a session of “The Bridge.” This is a meeting for people wanting to know all about Aspen Ridge, its ministries, small groups and more. If you are interested in attending, please call the church office to RSVP or note your interest on the communication card! Childcare and dinner are provided.
PERSPECTIVES ON THE WORLD CHRISTIAN MOVEMENT
Come and discover what God is doing worldwide and how you can be woven into His story of redemption and glory! Perspectives is a 15-week course exploring God’s desire that every people group would know Him. Every week a new instructor teaches a different aspect of how God is working in the world. Our Spring semester 2022 class begins on Sunday, January 9 – Registration and Orientation at 3:00 PM and then classes are January 16 – May 1, Sundays 3:00-6:00 PM. (No class on Easter Sunday, April 17). They will be located at Crow Hill Bible Church. Please visit our website at www.perspectives.org/BaileyS22 for levels of classes available, cost and discounts and much more information.
GIVING SUMMARY AS OF NOVEMBER 28, 2021
GENERAL FUND LAST WEEK THIS MONTH FISCAL YTD
Actual $ 11,345 $ 67.237 $ 179,512
Budget $ 19,375 $ 77,500 $ 201,500
Difference $ (8,030) $ (10,263) $ (21,988)