Acts – Contagious Suffering
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: There is no counsel against the Lord that can stand.
- Counsel against the Lord does exist…
- Counsel against the Lord does not stand…
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: What kind of opportunities have you had to serve in the life and outreach of the Christian church? What was your experience like, and in what way was it rewarding?
- Counsel against the Lord’s servant (in this case Stephen) does exist. Describe these opponents and what measures they take against this important Christian leader.
- People of God continually face accusation from our spiritual adversary – Satan. In some cases, the accusations he brings are indeed true. In other cases, he brings false charges in the way of this passage. At all events, how do you respond to these accusations?
- Stephen is described as full of grace and power (v. 8) and with a face like an angel (v. 15). How do these descriptions show that Stephen has God’s approval? How do all believers in Christ have God’s approval?
- Things do not end well for Stephen; however, many favorable benefits result from his suffering. These include an opportunity to present a response (ch. 7), the eventual conversion of Saul (8:1) and the scattering of Christians (8:2) for the eventual progress of the gospel. What favorable benefits may come of your suffering for the gospel?
Happy Father’s Day! Please accept a stress ball as our gift to all men as you leave today. We want to extend a special welcome to visitors and guests, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
FAITH DAY AT THE ROCKIES
Faith Day at the Rockies is Sunday, July 29 at 1:10 PM vs. the Oakland Athletics, with Rockies players speaking after the game. The post-game concert features Passion. Tickets for this event are $17 each and will be available in the lobby this weekend and next.
NEW INTERIM DIRECTOR OF WORSHIP ARTS
We are pleased to announce that we have secured a new Interim Director of Worship Arts. Nate Rees, from Highlands Ranch, will be joining us with 18 years of leadership and communications experience. Please visit our website more information about Nate. He will begin in the month of July and will work on building a constructive transition with Matt.
The elders are asking members of Aspen Ridge Church to prayerfully consider nominating qualified men as elder candidates. Nomination forms are available in the church office and must be dropped off by the end of June.
MAIN OFFICE SUMMER SCHEDULE
Please note that July 2 – July 20, our main office will be on a shortened summer schedule, due to Paula’s upcoming knee surgery. We will be closed on Mondays. Tuesdays – Fridays the office will be open from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
SUMMER AFFINITY GROUPS
Summer is here! What better way to enjoy the summer sun than to join a summer affinity small group? We’ve got groups focused on fishing, Jeeping, volleyball, hiking and golfing. Eric has posted a blog article with more info on our website and he will be in the lobby this weekend to answer any questions.
SUMMER FUN AT DV8 BACK PORCH
Back Porch kicked off this past week, with a combined middle and high school student event that happens every Thursday this summer. Meet at the church at 6:00 PM for a van ride to the evening’s location, returning at 9:00 PM.
DV8 CIY: SPONSOR A STUDENT
Next weekend, bags will be available in the lobby for our annual sponsorship of high schoolers to Christ in Youth (CIY) summer camp. Pick up a bag and fill it with goodies to show your support for these students and sponsors. Bags will be due back on June 30. The group will be leaving on July 1 in the early morning hours.
BABY BOTTLES DUE BACK THIS WEEKEND – FATHER’S DAY!
Life’s Options Pregnancy Center makes baby bottles available for your donations during this season. Filled bottles should be returned this weekend for collection from our ministry partner soon. Your small change makes a BIG difference!
GET OUT: CHURCHWIDE SERVICE PROJECT
We’re getting our hands dirty in our community at Evergreen Lake, downtown Evergreen and Marshdale on August 4. We’ll spend a half-day serving through projects to clean up our beautiful public areas. We are praying for those that serve and those that will be served. We’d love to see our church body dedicate some time to this project.