Mother’s Day – God’s Family Design
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: What is God’s design for family flourishing?
- God Himself is like a complete family, 1:26-27
- God designs a human family, 2:18-25
- God’s design shattered, with restorative hope, 3:15
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: What are some of your best family memories? In general, what was working well in your family of origin, and what was not working well?
- The Scriptures consistently teach that God is one (Deuteronomy 6:4); however, one also learns that plurality exists in God (Genesis 1:26). How do you explain this? How may the human analogy of family describe God? What difference may this make in your life?
- God designs the first human family, beginning with husband and wife (Genesis 2:18-25). God describes a woman as a “suitable helper” for Adam. What does this mean, and what does this NOT mean? What does a healthy relationship look like between husband and wife?
- The man is intended to cleave to his wife and become one flesh. This follows a covenant made in the presence of God (Genesis 2:22-23). Why is the sequence of covenant first, then intimacy, important for human flourishing?
- A man shall leave his father and mother… then subsequently cleave to his wife. Why are there such problems in marriages with in-laws? What does one mean when saying covenant is a higher allegiance than blood?
Happy Mother’s Day! Ladies, please stop in the lobby and receive a rose and our best wishes for a great day. We want to extend a special welcome to visitors and guests, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
GEMS GIRLS CLUB FUNDRAISER GEMS
Girls Club will be hosting a bake sale this weekend, as a fundraiser for the next school year. They will also have special Mother’s Day treats for sale. Please stop by their table in the lobby and support this sweet ministry!
BABY BOTTLES ARE HERE!
Yearly, during the weeks that separates Mothers’ Day from Fathers’ Day, (May 13 – June 17) Life’s Options Pregnancy Center makes baby bottles available for your donations. Just fill the bottles with the pocket change from wherever you drop your coins each day and return the filled bottles to church on Fathers’ Day, June 18. Your small change makes a BIG difference!
SUMMER SCHEDULE CHANGES
From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, we will be adjusting our service times, with Saturday services remaining the same and Sunday services combining into one 10:00 AM service. We will resume our regular schedule in the fall. Check out Pastor Jeff’s blog post on the church website for more information.
OUTDOOR SUMMER SERVICES
We will have three outdoor services this summer on the second Saturday evenings in June, July and August. Please keep these services in your prayers and begin to think now about who you might invite. The first one will be the Saturday after VBS.
SUMMER AFFINITY GROUPS
It is starting to feel like summer around here! What better way to enjoy the summer sun than to join a summer affinity small group? Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information on some amazing opportunities, such as Jeeping and golfing.
Please note that although our Wednesday night supper and AWANA have concluded, DV8 Middle School and High School will continue as normally scheduled through the end of May. Our combined Back Porch meetings will begin in June.
DV8 BACK PORCH HOSTS
A great way to help serve the students is to host them this summer, at your home for Back Porch youth group! Please contact Pastor Kreg for details. The open dates for host homes this summer are; all of August and June 21 and Jul 19. Thank you for your response and support!
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL – CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS!
Vacation Bible School is coming soon! On Monday, June 4 through Friday, June 8 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM, we will shout and cheer through God’s mighty acts of victory, along with Go Fish’s Victory curriculum. Registration has opened on our website as of May 1. Volunteer sign-up is happening this weekend in the lobby; please stop by and find how you can help. We need over 60 volunteers to make this amazing ministry event happen.
GRADUATION RECOGNITION WEEKEND
During services on the weekend of May 19/20, we will be recognizing high school seniors that are graduating this school year. If you have or know of a graduating senior, would you please contact Pastor Kreg Kastelz by email to make sure they are recognized at these services?
SAVE-THE-DATE FOR FAITH DAY AT THE ROCKIES
Faith Day at the Rockies is Sunday, July 29 at 1:10 PM vs. the Oakland Athletics, with Rockies players speaking after the game. The post-game concert features Passion. Please put this on your calendar and watch for more details to come.
AUGUST 4: CHURCH-WIDE SERVICE PROJECT
We’re getting our hands dirty in our community at Evergreen Lake, downtown Evergreen, and Marshdale. We’ll spend a half-day serving these areas through projects to clean up some beautiful public areas. We are praying for those that serve and those that will be served. Please mark your calendar and consider how you might get involved!