He Came…To Save Sinners
1 Timothy 1:15
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Why did Christ Jesus come into the world?
- He came into the world to save sinners.
- He came into the world to save the foremost sinner.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
- Notice how Paul introduces this verse as a saying that is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. How might this be important in light of the false teaching mentioned in 1:6-8?
- “Christ Jesus came into the world” is a phrase that at least suggests the pre-existence of the Son of God. It also describes what we celebrate as Christmas. Discuss.
- Christ came to save sinners. Most world religions want to make progress with reference to God, by doing things that earn standing or favor. In opposition to this, Christian faith begins when one admits their need of the forgiveness that only God can provide. Discuss.
- The apostle Paul described himself as “foremost” or “chief” of sinners. How do you reconcile this with the transgressions of Hitler or a serial murderer?
- It seems like those who advance and progress in their relationship with God are keenly aware of the ways they fall short of God’s standards. Have you ever noticed that the air in a room appears clear until light falls upon it in such a way to reveal the dust particles and impurities?
Taking it Home: Stop comparing yourself with others! Start remembering who you were before a faith commitment…where you came from. Connect with the gospel and a Christian church that heralds such.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
CHRISTMAS WEEKEND SERVICES
We will host our regular Saturday evening service on December 23 at 5:00 PM and will have a combined morning service on Sunday, December 24, beginning at 10:00 AM. Our regular Children’s Ministry activities and childcare will be available during these services.
CHRISTMAS EVE CANDLELIGHT SERVICES
Our Christmas Eve Candlelight services will be offered at 3:30 and 5:00 PM, with childcare available in the nursery for 0-2 years old. We would love to celebrate this special time with old and new friends. This is a great weekend to invite neighbors to find a home in Christ together!
We reflect on the great things God is doing at Aspen Ridge Church, we would like to remember those who unselfishly serve us week in and week out. To demonstrate our appreciation, we will be collecting a love offering during the remaining weeks of December. We will present a gift to each staff member at the end of the year. Please note “Staff Gift” on your check and/or electronic gift.
Baptism services will be the weekend of January 13/14. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact the church office.
The Bridge provides an orientation to Aspen Ridge Church life. Those who are new to us, who want to discover a small group and who want to find a way to serve are invited. Dinner will be provided, and the session is scheduled on January 7 from 4:00 – 7:30 PM in the Fellowship Hall, with childcare available. Contact the church office to reserve your spot.
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift.
Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $108,617
Remaining pledged amount: $ 28,304
The next Soup’er Saturday will be on January 6, immediately following the evening service. A variety of soups will be available, including a kid-friendly option. There is no cost, and all are welcome. Contact Jodie Cates at 303.250.3852 or [email protected] if you would like to help with this event.
DV8 CIY SAVE-THE-DATE
Just so you can save the date, the High School CIY camp next summer is July 1 – July 6, 2018. These are abnormal dates, so we wanted to give you a heads-up! Details will be available as we get closer.
PRAYER INVITATION FOR NEXT SUNDAY
Join us for prayer on Sunday mornings, downstairs in the Fireside Room from 10:15 – 10:40 AM. This is a special time to pray for our weekend services, the fulfillment of the Great Commission and the advance of the gospel. There is also a student-led group meeting during this time; please see Pastor Kreg for details.
Aspen Ridge Church has a rental property available for immediate occupancy. This property is a 2300 sqft, 3BR/3BA house with a 2-car garage. If you or someone you know might be interested in this opportunity, please contact Shephard Realty at 303.674.3343.
THE GOD WHO IS THERE
Most people do not have a basic working knowledge of the Bible. How can we understand the story of God—and our part in it—when we’re not familiar with it? In this basic introduction to faith, D.A. Carson takes you through the big story of Scripture to help you know what you believe and why you believe it. Pastor Jeff and Dan Dube will host this course on Wednesday nights (6:30 – 7:50 PM) beginning on January 10.
UPCOMING WOMEN’S MINISTRY EVENT
What IF we followed God with perseverance instead of insecurity? Come be a part of the two-day If:Gathering 2018 conference at Ascent Church in Evergreen to worship and study God’s Word. During this time, speakers from all over the country will help inspire and equip, as they direct to truth. The dates are Friday, February 9-Saturday, February 10. The cost is $36, which covers snacks on Friday, a light breakfast and lunch on Saturday.