He Came: To Bear Witness
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Why did Jesus come into the world?
- Pilate: Are you king of the Jews?
- Pilate: What have you done?
- Pilate: So, you are a king?
- Pilate: What is truth?
The Son of God came into the world to bear witness to the truth.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: How was your celebration of Thanksgiving, and for what are you especially thankful?
- Pilate’s first question is simply “are you king of the Jews?” Jesus responds to Pilate’s question with a question about whether this was a repetition of the charge against him or if he was genuinely interested. How interested is this generation in the answer? You?
- Pilate’s second question is “what have you done?” It presumes that Jesus has done something wrong; Jesus does not answer the question. Instead Jesus circles back to answer the first question. Describe what sort of king he is NOT.
- Pilate’s third question is “so, you are a king?” Review Jesus’ answer, and discuss what this means for His followers in general. Jesus indirectly invites Pilate to be His follower.
- Pilate’s fourth question is “what is truth?” There is no evidence that Pilate gave Jesus an occasion to answer this question; he was not interested. How does this passage answer the question… and how do you?
Taking it Home: Ask yourself, “Am I listening to Jesus’ teaching in a responsive way?” Share with a friend the answer you come up with. Remember you can keep shading the truth in your life in such a way that you lose touch with yourself and your relationship with God.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. Pastor Jeff will meet you at the Welcome Center, where you can also receive a special gift when you turn in a Communication Card.
Wanted: A dependable person wanting to make a little money shoveling the snow off the sidewalks at the church. This will require you to have the walks cleared by 7:30 AM each time we receive snow. Please contact our head of Properties Ministry, John Briley, at [email protected] or 832.466.2214.
DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES
We are thankful for Debbie Stewart’s commitment over the past several months in an interim role in Children’s Ministries. It is with great pleasure that we would like to welcome her into the official Director position at this time. Thanks, Debbie, for your heart and your service to the youngest generation within our body!
Aspen Ridge Church has a rental property available for immediate occupancy. This property is a 2300 sqft, 3BR/3BA house with a 2-car garage. If you or someone you know might be interested in this opportunity, please contact Shephard Realty at 303.674.3343.
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift.
Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $106,067
Remaining pledged amount: $ 30,589
This holiday season, we will be celebrating the birth of Christ with a special Christmas series, looking at the mystery and wonder of Christ’s coming. We look forward to celebrating the heart and essence of our faith together this Christmas season. Many of our neighbors are more open to things of faith during this time of year. Would you consider inviting someone to share in this joy alongside you?
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
Please join us for a family-friendly evening meal on Wednesdays at 5:30 PM. Our menu this week includes Mexican casserole over rice, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or a maximum of $10 per family.
BIRD IS THE WORD: COMMUNITY DINNER
We are praising God for His blessing on our Thanksgiving community dinner! We had a great turnout from the community and really enjoyed showing God’s love in a practical way. We are thankful for each individual who had a part (it would not be possible without you!) and for the wonderful leadership provided by Michele Force.
The first Soup’er Saturday was a success! The next Soup’er Saturday will be on December 2, immediately following the evening service. A variety of soups will be available, including a kid-friendly option. There is no cost, and all are welcome. Contact Jodie Cates at 303.250.3852 or [email protected] if you would like to help with this event.
In the weeks to come, Pastor Jeff will provide an “Aspen Ridge update” that you will receive if we have your mailing information. We will be sending out a Churchteams email soon with a link to update your information in our database. Please make sure we can keep in touch!