Lend Me Your Hope – Hope Beyond Immaturity
1 Peter 3:8-12
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Love your Christian family from the heart.
- Love your family in the way you think – unity of mind.
- Love your family in the way you feel – sympathy.
- Love your family in the way you behave –conduct.
- Love your family in the way you feel – tender heart.
- Love your family in the way you think – a humble mind.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: One might think that loving family members would be easier than simply loving friends or acquaintances. But in the reality of life, it often is not so. Why not?
- This passage begins with unity of mind. It also ends with being humble-minded. How do we best cultivate the mind of Christ in our diverse family of faith?
- At least one aspect of being humble-minded has to do with respect for church leadership. How does respect for church leadership compare with respect for government (2:13), those in authority at work (2:18) and a spouse (3:1)?
- This passage has two phrases that relate to emotions: sympathy and tender heart. Our love for family members is incomplete without this vital dimension. How does one nurture godly affections for Christian family members?
- The central phrase in this list is “brotherly love.” How do you act out family love in your small group? How does this love spill over toward our community?
Taking it Home: The most direct application of this passage includes forgiving your brother or sister. Charles Swindoll says: First, when we have true forgiveness in our hearts, we refuse to get back or get even. Second, we restrain from saying anything ugly in return. Third, we return good for evil. Fourth, we keep in mind that we were called to endure such harsh treatment. Which step do you need to take this week?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center.
15 MINUTES TO CHANGE THE WORLD
All are invited to a prayer time, held in our Celebration Center, between our worship services on Sundays. We will give direction to prayer between 10:20 and 10:35 AM for the weeks leading up to Easter. We would like to challenge all of our adult small groups to participate in this time of prayer. Our strength is in God and our unity as the body of Jesus Christ. We believe now is the time to prioritize prayer, coming to God with an expectant heart to receive all that He has for us. Won’t you join us?
CONIFER AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE NOMINATION
We’ve been nominated for the Conifer Area Chamber of Commerce Non-Profit of the Year! If you want to vote for this category or others, please visit GoConifer.com to make your selections. We are excited to be representing our community in this category!
WAR ROOM BOOKS STILL AVAILABLE
We have copies of the two companion books to the War Room movie available for purchase. Fervent ($7.98) by Priscilla Shirer and The Battle Plan for Prayer ($10.29) by the Kendrick Brothers will further inspire you and teach you how to engage in life-changing prayer. Take advantage of the discounted bulk pricing and pick up your copies this week in the church office during regular business hours. Checks or exact change are appreciated, and any donations will help fund more events like this one!
CONVERGE ROCKY MOUNTAIN – SHOW SOME LOVE
Our conference, Converge Rocky Mountain, is asking its churches to come together to “Show Some Love” and make a special donation to their benevolence fund. This fund provides financial assistance to pastors, missionaries, chaplains, retirees and their families in times of crisis. We will be collecting for this fund at the back of the Celebration Center during our regular benevolent offering the first weekend in March.
DV8 PARENT LUNCHEON
On Sunday, February 28, we will be holding a DV8 Parent Luncheon after services. The purpose is to discuss the vision for DV8 2016, share information about this year’s events and to pray for our students and families. Lunch will be provided. If you and your family plan to attend, please email Hunter for a link to the sign-up for this event.
CPR CERTIFICATION CLASS
Please join us in the Student Center on Saturday, February 27, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM, for a 2-year certification class in adult, child and infant CPR, first aid and AED. The cost is $35 per person. You can register by emailing Debbie at [email protected]
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
Our menu this week features pasta e fagioli, bread, salad and dessert for $2.50 per person or $10 per family. We would love to have you join us for dinner!
FREEZER MEAL PREP
This ministry is in need of large plastic containers, such as yogurt or sour cream containers, for their next meeting on March 1. If you have any to donate, there will be a collection box located in the upstairs kitchen.