Square One – Origins of Covenant
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: God makes a covenant with Adam in the garden.
- This covenant includes a promise of eternal life with perfect obedience.
- This covenant includes a threat of eternal death with disobedience.
- This covenant is ultimately fulfilled by the last Adam.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Are you able to recall a time or occasion when you entered into a covenant? What motivated you to do so? This week we see evidence that God entered into a covenant with Adam. How may God’s motivations compare to yours?
- This covenant made with Adam held out the promise of eternal life upon the condition of perfect obedience. Compare this to verses in the New Testament (NT) that suggest something similar (Romans 7:10; 10:5). Elsewhere in the NT we read that this obedience must be PERFECT (James 2:10). Who is able to claim such perfection?
- The Apostle Paul describes Adam as the head of the human race in covenant. Because of this, the consequences of Adam’s sin would extend to the whole human race… because all sinned (Romans 5:12). What is the nature of our relationship to Adam’s sin? How does our relationship to Christ’s righteousness help answer that question (Romans 5:12-21)?
- Covenants generally include a visible token, and in this case that token is likely the tree of life. If Adam were to eat of this tree he would be confirmed in his current state, forever. How does this explain God’s banishment of Adam’s access to the tree, after the fall (Genesis 3:22)?
- The last Adam eventually and ultimately fulfills this covenant (Romans 5:12-21). Describe the similarities and distinctions between Adam and Jesus Christ in this passage.
Taking It Home: The last Adam (Jesus Christ) eventually and ultimately fulfills this covenant (Romans 5:12-21). Because of God’s grace, He has made a way through simple faith in Christ to be declared righteous. If you have placed your faith in Jesus Christ, tell the group when.
If you are visiting today, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
CALLING ON ANGELS
Pastor Jeff would like to invite any and all, and especially those who have a heart for intercession, to pray for our corporate worship services. You are welcome to join us in the Celebration Center 20 minutes before each service.
Elder nominations for terms starting in September 2014 will be accepted during the month of March. Nomination forms are available in the church office or from any elder. Prayerfully consider nominating men who meet the Biblical and constitutional office of Elder, and return the nomination form to the church office by March 30.
TOWN HALL MEETING
Our next Town Hall Meeting will be held on April 6 at 9:00 AM. This meeting will bring a report from our Outreach Ministry Team and talk about our Spring series entitled “A New Attitude,” among other things.
Our Breakfasts will resume on March 8 at 8:00 AM on the church campus with a Man in the Mirror devotion. The discussion will be – “Becoming a Servant Leader.” The food, fellowship and study are great!
The Gathering is open to all, meeting in Room 104 during the 9:00 AM hour. In March, The Gathering will revisit The Truth Project. This is a Focus on the Family 12 week series that looks at the Christian Worldview, and provides impetus to living a full, God honoring life.
MARCH MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: DV8 STUDENT MINISTRY
Coming from Romans 12:2, our student ministry’s goal is to deviate from the world and be transformed to the image of Christ. If you have a passion to see the future of the Church – our students – know Jesus deeper, and if you love games, laughter and discipleship,
consider joining us on Wednesday or Thursday evenings in the chapel.
We’ve dubbed Mondays “The Italian Job” with pizza and fun. Don’t miss our regularly scheduled meetings: DV8 Middle School Wednesdays, 6:00 – 8:00 PM and DV8 High School Thursdays, 6:00 – 8:30 PM.
EASTER WEEKEND SCHEDULE
As you are making your plans for Easter, please note that we will have a Good Friday service at 6:30 PM. Our Saturday evening service at 6:00 PM will be as regularly scheduled. We will be adding breakfast at 8:00 AM, as well as an extra service on Easter Sunday morning beginning at 9:00 AM. We will suspend our regular small group meetings on that Sunday.
SPRING VOCAL ENSEMBLE HAS BEGUN
Join us in the chapel at 8:00 AM on Sundays (except March 9) as we prepare for our Good Friday and Easter services. All high school age and older who want to sing are welcome!
John and Elaine Mehn- Converge Worldwide Missionaries-Japan
- for John’s Indonesia trip to meet with key Asian national leaders engaged in church planting movements and for him recently meeting a Pastor who planted 8 churches and was heavily involved in preventing human sex trafficking.
- for our goal to form a church planting network for Japan and the East Asia region.
- for Elaine’s ministries to multiply though other leaders in other ministries