Words to Build a Life On – Two Foundations
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Why should someone obey the words of Jesus Christ?
- Because you will be… (v. 24-25)
Building on a solid foundation
Strong in the midst of trials
- Because you will not be… (v. 26-27)
Building on a fragile foundation
Devastated by trials
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: The story of the “3 Little Pigs” is a modern day parable about preparing for adversity. Recall the story and discuss how it needs to be heard in our day and age. Where may individuals be negligent of its message?
- The biblical concept of wisdom may often be confused with modern day notions of intelligence. Describe how this concept is distinct. (Proverbs 8:32-36; Proverbs 9:10)
- There are a number of similarities shared by both individuals described in this passage. Identify the similarities (example – both are building something with their life). How can these similarities be a bridge toward neighbors in our community?
- There is one pivotal difference between these two individuals. Identify this difference and discuss, in practical terms, what this response looks like in daily life.
Taking It Home: It is not uncommon for people to assert that a teacher gave a “good message.” It is another thing altogether to apply that message toward life change. What role does your small group have in making such applications? What role does a trusted friend have to that end?
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he and his wife, Mary, will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
In December, we will feature Pastor Jeff in a fun, interesting and, at times, lighthearted look at the Christmas season. Join us at 9:00 AM on Sunday mornings in the Fellowship Hall.
PRAYERS FOR THE FERA FAMILY
Please keep the Fera family in your prayers in the wake of Ken’s recent passing. There will be a Celebration of Life service on Thursday, December 4 at 2:00 PM at The Barn, with a reception immediately following. We are asking for finger foods, appetizers or desserts to share for the reception. Please contact Thresea Stimatze at 303.838.2025 for more information.
This month’s Hymn Sing will feature our favorite Christmas carols. Please join us as we celebrate the season of the birth of Christ through song on Sunday, December 14 in the Celebration Center at 8:30 AM.
FULFILLING OUR MISSION
Our mission involves “inviting neighbors to find a home in Christ.” However, we have a parking lot and Children’s Ministry problem that is hampering our ability to fulfill our mission. We are prayerfully considering a proposed solution to the problem. You should have received a letter in the mail with further information and a request for your responses. We appreciate your prayers and welcome your thoughts, and we would love to hear from you.
The Celebration Center will be unavailable during this next week due to new carpet installation. All activity in this space will be relocated until December 6, when our congregation will get to enjoy the upgrades. Thank you for your patience!
DV8 HOSTS DATE NIGHT
This event is a fundraiser for our DV8 students that will be attending CIY (Christ In Youth) this summer, from June 22-26. We are going to Durango and have reserved 26 spots. If you are a parent who needs a night out, drop your kids off at church for a few hours with us, from 6:00 – 9:00 PM on December 12. If you are student interested in going to CIY, contact Hunter for more information or to help raise funds through serving at Date Night.
HOLIDAY MINISTRY SCHEDULES
Several of our regular events will have modified schedules for the holidays. If you are involved in any of our various groups outside of regular services, please contact your event lead to verify the December calendar for your group. We will also continue to update the public calendar on our website to try to accommodate these changes.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MENU
Please join us as we welcome “The Den” to cater our meal on Wednesday, December 3 at 5:30 PM. They will serve pasta and sauce, and we will also offer salads and desserts. The Celebration Center will be undergoing carpet upgrades during this week, so please join us in the Fellowship Hall.
Rich and Judy Swanson
Global Service Network, Apex, North Carolina
- For our partnership with and financial support from Aspen Ridge Church.
- For the ability to share Christ to leaders in struggling communities. The Swansons offer spiritual hope and develop relationships which lead to building local businesses and economic hope in the communities.
- For continued guidance in building a platform to mobilize resources and reach people in difficult areas around the world who have spiritual and economic challenges.
- For the opening of hearts to hearing about the Good news.