Square One – The Word of God
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
Question: Who is the Word that is the foundational “Square One”?
- The Word has a certain relationship to God, v. 1,2.
- The Word has a certain relationship to all created things, v. 3.
- The Word has a certain relationship to humankind, v. 4-5.
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Our series entitled “Square One” has to do with origins and beginnings. Everyone asks the question “who am I?” and “where did I come from?” How does our world, in large part, answer that question? How do you?
- Often, when we think of beginnings, we think of the book of Genesis. However, we begin this series in the book of John. Why? How does one compare and contrast the opening passages of each book?
- God’s Word is an expression and revelation of God’s thought. Who is the Word? Review John 1:14 for the answer.
- In the first few verses of John, we learn that the Word is distinct from God, but also equal to God. How does this teaching set the stage for the Christian doctrine of the Trinity?
- The Word’s relationship to God means that a harmonious community exists within God. God did not have to create, but he chose to do so as an expression of love. This means that loving relationships are what life is all about. Where do you find loving relationships?
- In Him was light and life. The contrast to these words is darkness and death. How has Jesus rescued you from darkness and death?
Taking It Home: What are you looking for in your small group? What are your personal expectations? What are your mutual expectations of each other?
If you are visiting today, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center,
and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will meet you at the Welcome Center in the entryway.
SERMON BASED SMALL GROUPS FOR WINTER 2014
On January 11 and 12, you will have the opportunity to sign up for a small group at our Small Group Fair. Each small group leader will have a station in the Celebration Center after worship for you to visit and talk with as you decide which small group would be the best fit for you and your family. If you want to continue with your previous group, you are welcome to do so, but you must sign-up for that group again—you will not automatically be included. If you’d like to try a different group, this is your chance to do so! If you haven’t yet joined a small group, now is the time! We are excited to get back to square one with our small groups as we embark upon a new sermon series—Square One!
TOWN HALL MEETING
Our church leadership will be calling a town hall meeting scheduled for January 12 at 9AM in the fellowship hall. This meeting will discuss opportunities for winter small groups, listen to further progress from our Outreach Ministry Team and pray for God’s guidance and blessing in this ministry for 2014. We invite you to join us.
This past week, Pastor Jeff was asked to open the Colorado House of Representatives’ session with prayer. This occasion serves as a reminder to pray for our state and local governments. We encourage you to keep this as a regular part of your prayer focus.
The Gathering will break for the January 12 Town Hall Meeting, but is open to all, meeting in Room 104 during the 9:00 AM hour. In January, Dave Furman will lead us in a fascinating discussion on “Christianity and its Basis in Law”.
If you love basketball, we would like to invite you to come out on Sunday afternoons at 2:00 PM to play. We will meet in the Celebration Center and would love to have you join us.
PARENTS – Please make note of the following dates for a Parent Meeting with our Director of Student Ministries, Hunter Headley. The Middle School Parent Meeting will be on Wednesday, February 5 and the
High School Parent Meeting will be on Thursday, February 6, both from 6:00 – 6:30 PM. There is much to share and discuss. We would love to see you there!
High Schoolers, our “SUPERNATURAL” Winter Camp 2014 is January 24-26 and the cost is $120 for one student or $225 for two. Remember, your balance is due by January 18. Be ready for an exciting program –
including drama and music, meeting great friends, a dodge balltournament, a game room, a swimming pool and much more. Please see Hunter Headley, for complete details.
SOCIAL SECURITY WORKSHOP
On January 21 from 6:00 – 7:30 PM, Aspen Ridge will be hosting a Social Security Workshop led by Bob Blake, Michael Speer and Bronco Ring of Fame football player, Randy Gradishar. The workshop will cover several areas that can affect how much you collect in benefits over your lifetime. Be sure to bring a friend!
AN OUTREACH OPPORTUNITY
We would like to join with Community Bible Study to provide meals to the Roush family of seven, as they deal with Matt’s surgery and recovery. If you are interested in helping with this need, please contact Charlotte
Carlson at [email protected] The Roush family appreciates your prayers and concerns.