The Height of Faith – Perseverance
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Genuine believers will be kept by God and will persevere until the end.
“For we have come to share in Christ…” (v. 14)
“If indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.” (v. 14)
Building a doctrine of perseverance.
Question: How do I know whether I am a genuine believer?
The text asks questions
Ask yourself questions
- Do I have a present trust in Christ for salvation?
- Is there evidence of the Spirit in my life?
- Do I see a long-term pattern of growth in my Christian life?
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: Most likely, most of us know someone who has discontinued following Jesus. Without naming names, can you identify some common traits or characteristics of those who may be in this type of place? If you wandered away from Christ, what was that like?
- The first half of Hebrews 3:14 emphasizes a believer’s identity as one who shares in Jesus Christ. If you become a child of God, you will always be a child of God. Discuss.
- The second half of Hebrews 3:14 describes a conditional dimension to the Christian life. What is the condition? How is this a warning for members of God’s forever family?
- Wayne Grudem provides the following definition of Christian perseverance: “All those who are truly born again will be kept by God’s power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives, and only those who persevere until the end have been truly born again.” How do the two sides of this definition fit together?
- Every one of us should ask ourselves the following questions by way of self-examination. Do I have a present trust in Christ for salvation? What evidence of the Holy Spirit exists in my life? Do I see a long-term pattern of growth in my Christian life?
Taking it Home: Identify someone in your life who may be wavering or regressing in their Christian commitment. After praying for that person, give them a call and ask them how they are doing in their Christian life. Tell them you are praying for them.
If you are visiting, we want to extend a special welcome to you, and we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff will be available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, he will meet you at the Welcome Center.
CONVERGE ANNUAL MEETING – 2017
Together to Transform: 2017 will be held on March 10/11 at Cheyenne Hills Church in Cheyenne, WY. Online registration is available at TogetherToTransform.org. The Conference focus will be “redemptively reaching the people we often avoid.” Please check our media stands for a brochure listing more details, a conference schedule and a listing of breakout leaders/sessions.
SMALL GROUP OPPORTUNITIES
We believe that small groups are an important way for our church family to connect, learn and serve. We offer small groups that discuss our Sunday sermon series and groups that meet to discuss a variety of other topics. You will find a listing of our small groups in the media stands and on our website. We would love to have you join us! One of the small groups meets on Wednesday evenings in the library, following the Wednesday night dinner. The Alpha Course, led by Pastor Jeff, is a great way to get to know more about the mysteries of the Christian faith. Feel free to stop in and check it out this week.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY LUNCHEON
“Let’s Taco-‘bout Children’s Ministry!” Sunday, March 19 from 12:00 – 1:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall, there will be a taco lunch and training for all volunteers of children and interested potentail volunteers. Please plan to come and fellowship with us!
LIVE IT OUT
Thanks to all who are contributing to Live It Out as we intentionally reach out to our community in practical and loving ways. To contribute, note “Live It Out” on or with your gift.
Gifts (pledged and unpledged) received to date: $ 73,099
Remaining pledged amount: $ 58,627
STUDENT MISSION TRIP FORMS
Information and forms have been handed out to students regarding the missions trip to Cabo, Mexico, from June 25 - July 3. Parents, please look these over with your students. A deposit of $250 is due on March 5.
DARE 2 SHARE CONFERENCE: DV8 STUDENTS
This conference will enable teens to find an unshakeable faith and will equip them to answer Christ’s call to make disciples who make disciples. The event is at Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada, March 24-25. Those interested should contact Kreg Kastelz. The cost is $75 and registration
must be completed by March 12.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
Dinner is at 5:30 PM each Wednesday night during the school year, and it is open to all. This week we are serving Mexican soup over rice, salad and dessert for only $2.50 per person or a maximum of $10 per family. Bring a friend!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AT ECHO RESALE
The EChO (Evergreen Christian Outreach) Resale Shop is in dire need of volunteer staffing. Volunteer options include cashiering, backroom processing, floor merchandising and shopper assistance. Please contact EChO’s Volunteer Coordinator at 303.670.1796 or e-mail email@example.com. EChO is one of our local ministry partners!