Dealing With Rejection
Dr. Jeffrey Clark
The Big Idea: Keep looking to the LORD until He is gracious to us.
Keep looking to the LORD (vv. 1-2)
- The far look (v.1)
- The fixed look (v. 2)
Until He is gracious to us (vv. 3-4)
- More than enough contempt (v. 3)
- Contempt of the proud (v. 4)
Quick Review: Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
My Story: This week we learned how to respond when snubbed. Can you think of times when you have been snubbed, belittled, ridiculed or disrespected? Describe how that felt and how you responded.
- This Psalm describes an occasion where there is nowhere else to turn. The answers could not be found within or in circumstances. Where does the Psalmist turn? Review the beginning of the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9) and also Psalm 115:3; Isaiah 55:9; Psalm 36:5. What does calling upon God look like for you?
- Servants or mistresses did not have a way of defending themselves. Many people find themselves defensive when attacked, seeking ways to protect themselves. In contrast, what kind of response does the Psalmist recommend? How can you deal with defensive feelings?
- This Psalm tells us that we need God’s mercy and grace. The Apostle Paul takes pains to describe God’s mercy as a “sovereign” mercy (Romans 9:15, 18). How have you been melted and moved at God’s sovereign mercy in your life? What other differences does that sovereign mercy make for you?
- God has a way of humbling proud people. Review Nebuchadnezzar’s arrogance and God’s discipline in Daniel 4:28-33. Note that God did not need to use Daniel to accomplish this discipline in Nebuchadnezzar’s life. How was Nebuchadnezzar restored in Daniel 4:34?
Taking It Home: Looking back at this week’s teaching and study, what kind of response is God seeking from you when you have been poorly treated? Where can you love and pray for your enemies?
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge Church, we want to extend a special welcome to you and invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service. On Saturday, Pastor Jeff is available in the Celebration Center, and on Sunday, Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you in the library (Room 207).
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
“Gotta Move!” Vacation Bible School starts on Monday! Register your kids online or at the table in the lobby to help the first day run smoothly. Also, plan to attend our Community BBQ on Wednesday, June 19 from 5:30-7:30 PM.
GARRETT AND PARKER SENDOFF
On June 23, after the Sunday service, Aspen Ridge Church will host a potluck luncheon for Garrett and Parker. Families attending, please bring an entrée and either a side dish or dessert to share.
Are you interested in being baptized? We will have two orientation meetings at 9:00 AM, one on July 7 and another on July 14 in Room 204. We ask that you attend one of those meetings to participate. For more information, please contact the main office.
THE GATHERING IN JUNE – A BIBLICAL BASIS FOR EVANGELISM
The Gathering is an interactive group that meets every Sunday at 9:00 AM in room 104. Pastor Jeff will be developing a biblical basis for evangelism.
RELIGIOUS FREEDOM PRESENTATION
Mary Clark will again present “The History of Religious Freedom in America” on June 30, during The Gathering’s regularly scheduled 9:00 AM meeting time. If you missed it last time, make sure to join us this time to hear about our country’s foundations, as Mary presents this special topic in the chapel.
STAY INFORMED: WEBSITE AND FACEBOOK
The bulletin is only ONE of the ways we communicate information as a church. It has only so much space, but we have a wealth of information that is also regularly posted to our website and to Facebook, as well as being sent in weekly email updates. If you are not currently receiving the emails, and would like to, contact the church office to be added to the distribution list.
WOMEN OF FAITH
We will be honoring Marilyn Wolverton for her 11 years of leadership to our group. Because of challenges with her vision, Marilyn will be attending church closer to her home and we will miss her.
GLOBAL LEADERSHIP SUMMIT
Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch, CO will be hosting the summit on August 8 and 9. Aspen Ridge Church will send attendees to this event. If you are interested, you may find out more online at http://www.willowcreek.com/events/leadership. Further, you may register to be a part of our group by contacting Bruce Chaffer at email@example.com. The deadline for folding into this group is June 16.
SERVICE OPPORTUNITY FOR TORNADO VICTIMS
Mission Hills is scheduling weekly trips to Oklahoma to help in disaster relief. If you are interested, please see our website for full details.
STUDENT MINISTRIES THIS SUMMER
This week, Middle School Student Ministry will join the VBS Community BBQ on Wednesday from 5:30-7:30 PM. High School Back Porch continues this week on Thursday. Meet at the church at 6:00 PM for a ride, returning at 9:00 PM.