The Problem of Resistance, John 10:22-30
Question: How does one understand the problem of resistance to the Christian faith?
- By acknowledging the reality of the problem (vv 20, 31)
- By accepting that the problem is due to a lack of faith (v 25)
- By understanding that it is because they are not a part of his sheep (v 26)
- By embracing the “perseverance of believers” (vv 27-29)
- Where do you see the problem of resistance to the Christian faith in your world, nation, neighborhoods, and relationships?
- Our Christian faith is full of good news, and the gospel is the power of God for salvation to all who believe. How do you explain the problem of resistance?
- Review the meaning of “antinomy” and describe how it is present in the passage. For what other subjects in our Christian faith is it important to understand an “antinomy”?
- What is the relationship of perseverance to eternal security in our faith? How is God calling you to persevere in your faith?
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
We are pleased to honor our mothers on this special day. As a token of our appreciation, we are giving flowers to mothers assembling with us in corporate worship. Also, we are participating in parent dedications. Jason and Kellie Steinmetz are dedicating their daughter Soleigh Grace, and Steve and Alison Powell are dedicating their daughter Sadie Rose.
If you are visiting today or if you are new to Aspen Ridge we invite you to an informal reception immediately following our worship service on Sunday. Pastor Jeff and his wife Mary will welcome you in the library (room 207) with some delicious cookies. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and find out more about Aspen Ridge Church.
On May 18 and 19 all high school and college graduates will be recognized during the services. Be here so you don’t miss out! There will also be a graduation party/open house at “The Barn” on Friday evening May 24 from 5:00 to 9:00 PM. All are invited to come and celebrate our high school graduates and their accomplishments.
FREEZER MEAL PREP IS BACK!
Do you ever stare into your pantry and wonder what in the world to fix for dinner? Come and prepare ready to cook meals that you can store in your freezer. Some meals are also used to serve our church and our community. Michelle Schroeder will guide you through the preparation of “freezer Meals” on Tuesday, May 21 in the upstairs kitchen from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Toddler and nursery care will be provided. Call Michelle at 303.674.1089, or email her at email@example.com.
THE GATHERING: MAY SERIES ON FINANCES
The Gathering is an interactive group that meets every Sunday at 9:00 AM in room 104. It is always “open” and welcomes guests and visitors. Each month a different topic is discussed. Finances will be the focus in May. Come learn how to apply God’s financial principles in ways that bring financial freedom. Several from Aspen Ridge will share their financial wisdom.
Mothers of Preschoolers is winding down for the year, but it’s not too late to enjoy some much needed fellowship with other moms. On May 14 there will be a “Farewell Luau” to end the regular meetings. As summer approaches, MOPS moms and kids will continue to have park days every Tuesday at 10:00 AM. June gatherings will be at Marshdale Park and July will be at Kittredge Park.
FILL THOSE BABY BOTTLES!
Please grab an empty baby bottle in the church lobby and fill it with your spare change. Return it to the church office by Father’s Day. You may take more than one, or even take one for each member of your family. All proceeds of this community fund raiser will go directly to the Mountain Area Pregnancy Center.
MAY MINISTRY HIGHLIGHT: SERVICE MINISTRY
The Service Ministry Team at Aspen Ridge consists of a number of individuals who have a passion for helping and serving others - both within the walls of our church and outside the walls of our church. We have groups that serve on-going needs such as the Men’s M3 Teams, and we have groups who serve to support short-term needs and projects such as working with the Samaritan’s Purse fire relief efforts last summer. For more information call Mike Kelly at 303-717-1669, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DENVER MISSION TRIP
A deposit of $50 is due Sunday, May 12, for the middle school and high school Students who are going on the trip this summer. The team will work with impoverished people of all ages. Join the team and share the love of Jesus with Denver’s less fortunate. Total price for this week of ministry is only $135. See Pastor Casey for details.
Mountain Area Pregnancy Center (www.mapc.us)
- For their continual outreach in our community, offering free pregnancy testing and counseling, mentoring classes, community referrals, Mother's Closet (maternity and baby supplies), post-abortion counseling for men and women and a 24 hour hotline.
- For the beautiful babies supported by MAPC.
- For needs to be filled.
- For volunteers to help with childcare on Wednesday mornings during small group classes.
- For volunteers to become board members.
- For needed donations of diapers sizes 4, 5, 6, gently used baby and children's clothing, financial gifts, recycled cell phones printer ink cartridges and used cars.